The New Jersey Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NJAAOM), is the Garden State's professional organization of Licensed Acupuncturists and supporters of Oriental Medicine dedicated to promoting the profession of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine by always striving for the highest standards of patient care, education and integrity, to ensure the health and well-being of the public.
The profession grows and evolves through practitioner support and NJAAOM supports the practitioner by speaking for legislation that advances our profession and speaking against legislation that would harm or hinder our profession. NJAAOM serves the public though education via lectures, the media, publications, and referral services.
State Health Benefits Plan
Please see the update to the right in the news category.
- Dry Needling/Unlicensed Acupuncture in NJ
March 9, 2015 - Meeting in Trenton with the Governor’s Assistant Counsel for Health Policy.
See the news post above right for details.
- NCASI - 10 Key Facts about dry needling.
- Dry Needling - We are waiting for an opinion from the Attorney General's Office on whether or not physical therapists can practice drying needing, according to their current practice act.
- Essential Health Benefits - (Patient Protection and Affordable Healthcare Act) - Governor Christie has chosen the benchmark without any input from anyone else. He has chosen Horizon BCBS HMO with an associated HSA. Acupuncture is not covered by the HMO. Our goal is to get acupuncture covered at the next review or update.
- For details and current updates please see the Members Only section.
- Acupuncture scope of practice bill passed which accomplished the following:
- Changed title to Licensed Acupuncturist from Certified Acupuncturist
- Added Chinese Herbology to scope
- Removed the necessity of a physician's referral or diagnosis
- Made the unlicensed practice of acupuncture a criminal offense of the third degree.
- Successfully prevented the chiropractors from adding acupuncture to their scope of practice
- Successfully prevented the massage therapists from claiming exclusive right to practice Medical Qi Gong